BNU5.004 Interview Instructions :
Due Date: Thursday 4th May at 9am
This assignment will assess learning outcomes:
1: Demonstrate skills of effective communication in therapeutic and interpersonal relationships.
2: Describe and discuss theory of interpersonal connectedness and the therapeutic relationship.
Aim: The aim of this assessment is for you to demonstrate, appropriate and professional communication skills throughout a communication exercise and to identify your strengths and areas for further development by reflecting on the communication skills demonstrated in the communication exercise.
You are required to:
- Select a scenario that you would like to act out, and recruit a participant to play your ‘patient’ – make sure they have all the information before you begin, and have signed a consent form.
- Participate in 5-6-minute communication simulation (which you will video).
- Please wear your uniform, and ensure both you and your ‘patient’ are fully visible on the video.
- Watch the video you have created and write a transcript of only what YOU said during the interview, word for word, including minimal encouragers. Attach this as an appendix to your reflection (not included in the final word count).
- Write a three-paragraph reflection on the communication skills you utilised. Describe what you thought you did well as well as what you would like to work on. The description should be written in the first person. Use the reflection framework from Rolfe et al. (2001) reading, using the following headings:
- What? (What was my role? What was I trying to achieve? What was the response of the other?).
- So, what? (What do I think happened? Relate this to your knowledge about effective communication,
for example, appropriate skills of attending, understanding and exploration
- Now what? (Discuss how this knowledge / experience will affect / change your future communication in helpful relationships).
There should be three paragraphs (no need for an introduction or conclusion), each supported by two pieces of literature (5 to 7 references required for this assessment). The word count for this assessment is 700 words plus or minus 10% (over 770 words will have 5% deducted from your final mark).
- Your video
- Your reflection with attached consent form, reference list and transcript.
- The time guideline for the communication exercise is 5-6 minutes, plus or minus 10%. If a student completes a communication exercise that is over 10% of the required time, ie over 6.5 minutes, a penalty of 5% will be deducted from their mark.
- Assessments handed in after the due date and time (or extension date and time) will not be marked and no resit/submission will be available for this assessment.
- Use the correct assignment layout, as per Bachelor of Nursing Handbook.
- This assessment will be marked according to the criteria on the marking schedule.Please refer to the marking schedule. You are advised to retain a copy of your submitted work.
- Grades to pass:
- Pass = 60% and above
- Resit = 40% – 59%
- Fail = 39% and below.
|In your interview, the following communication skills should be demonstrated:|
|Introduction: Introduction, warm, friendly and respectful manner: name, role, and client’s name|
|2) Attending skills – used appropriately where relevant SOLERRecognises client’s personal spaceUse of silenceUse of voiceAppropriate use of inflection, emphasis & tone of voiceRate appropriate for situationCongruent body language|
|3) Understanding skills – used appropriately where relevant ParaphrasingSeeking clarificationReflecting feelingsConnecting thoughts and feelingsSummarizing|
|4) Exploration skills – used appropriately where relevant Prompting skills- for exampleMinimal encouragementAccentsGentle commandsOpen-ended statementsFinishing the sentenceSelf-disclosureProbing skills- for exampleOpen-ended questionsClosed questionsFocused, closed questionsPatient cue exploration|
|5) Reassurance skills – used if appropriate Avoids false reassuranceReassuring presenceReassuring mannerReassuring actionsOptimistic assertionConcrete & specific feedbackExplanations & factual information|
|6) Enables client to find their own solution(s) Avoids solution giving and problem solving|
|7) Closure: Summary, of what has been discussed and any follow up (if appropriate), when or if student will be back.|