Threat Actors Ransomware :
Threat Actors Ransomware Practical Exercise INTRODUCTION TO SECURITY
Submission Due Date: 20th March 2023
Submission Due Time: 5:00pm
Mark: 10 marks
Online Research—Threat Actors Ransomware
Threat actors are malicious entities that are responsible for security incidents. In most scenarios, the actor falls into three categories, internal, external, or partnered. Threat actors can come in all forms, but a new favorite mode of attack is to use Ransomware to lock computers and demand users pay a ransom to get their information back.
After completing this lab, you will be able to:
- Define what threat actor is
- Identify the characteristics of Ransomware
- Identify steps to mitigate Ransomware
This lab requires the following:
- A computer with Internet access
Estimated completion time: 30 minutes
In this lab, you will search the Internet for information related to organizational secu- rity.
- Open your web browser and go to http://www.darkreading.com/threat-intelli-
sion-of-killdisk/d/d-id/1327805. If you can not see the article, kindly search for
the following keyword on your browser “Threat Actors Bring Ransomware To In- dustrial Sector With New Version of KillDisk”
- Read the article and create a list of different types of Ransomware and their char- acteristics.
- Open your web browser and go to http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/col-
cannot see the article, kindly search for the following keyword on your browser
“Ransomware? Bad news, it’s getting worse”.
- Read the article and expand your list of different types of Ransomware and their characteristics.
- Use the list to form a risk mitigation plan to stop the infection of Ransomware in a company you may or may not work for.
- Use the risk mitigation plan to create a 2-to-3-page security brief that you would submit to your Lecturer.
- Submit your work in a report format of 2 to 3 page in the Turnitin link provided for this lab.
- Please submit only Word Document.
Rubric – Marking Guide
|Poor (0)||Good (1)||Excellent (2)||Marks|
|Format,||Basic and par-||Clear and cor-||2|
|Sources, and||Basic and par-||tially correct||rect format, re-|
|grammar||tially correct||format, less re-||cent high-qual-|
|format, non-||cent fair-qual-||ity articles,|
|contemporary||ity articles,||scholarly lan-|
|low-quality ar-||scholarly lan-||guage through-|
|ticles, schol-||guage not used||out and thor-|
|arly language||and poor atten-||ough attention|
|not used and||tion to detail||to detail|
|poor attention to detail Little evidence of smooth link- ing and logical linking||Few sec- tions/para- graphs smoothly and logically linked||sections/ para- graphs smoothly and logically linked|
|Expand your list of differ- ent types of Ransomware and their characteris- tics||Very basic Ex- pand your list of different types of Ran- somware and their characteristics.||Some basic Ex- pand your list of different types of Ran- somware and their characteristics.||Detailed and ex- cellent Expand your list of dif- ferent types of Ransomware and their characteristics.||2|
|Use the list||Very basic||Some basic list||Detailed and ex-||2|
|to form a risk||analysis of the||to form a risk||cellent list to|
|mitigation||issues leading||mitigation plan||form a risk miti-|
|plan to stop||to a real-world||to stop the in-||gation plan to|
|the infection||security||fection of Ran-||stop the infec-|
|of Ransom-||breach, the re-||somware||tion of Ransom-|
|ware||sponse of the||ware|
|tion of the is-|
|Use the risk||Very basic re-||Some basic risk||Detailed and ex-||2|
|mitigation||search and||mitigation plan||cellent risk mit-|
|plan to cre-||choose a com-||to create a 2-||igation plan to|
|ate a 2-to-3-||monly used||to-3-page secu-||create a 2-to-3-|
|page security||qualitative risk||rity brief.||page security|
|nique and ap-|
|ply it to the|
|Referencing||Little or no evi- dence of any citations or reference list||Referencing skills minimally intact, inaccu- rate and with multiple errors||Referencing skills fully intact, accurate and well-used no obvious errors||2|